Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 15, 2011

So I got a wild hair up my ass and hosted a Premier Jewelry party and made some yummy and not-so-yummy food.  I will start with the not-so-yummy food and please post on how I could make it better.


Pull Apart Bruschetta Pizza was the not-so-yummy dish.  I have a bruschetta recipe from my friend Kris and thought I could adapt it to a Pampered Chef recipe.  


The original Bruschetta recipe is 2-3 Roma tomatoes diced, marinated in olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, garlic and Italian seasoning.  French bread sliced and laid out on a baking sheet with a little olive oil brushed on it.  Lightly toast it in a 400 degree oven.  Pull the bread out and put the marinated tomatoes onto each slice of bread and top with Feta Cheese.  Put the bruschetta back into the oven until the cheese melts a little.  Pull out and eat.


The pull apart pizza is


Pampered Chef's Antipasti Pull-Apart Pizza


2 tsp olive oil divided
2 pkg (11) oz each refrigerated French Bread dough*
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts drained, patted dry
1 8 oz block mozzarella cheese
1 medium red bell pepper
1/2 cup pitted ripe olives
2 garlic cloves pressed
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 oz Parmesan cheese, divided
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)


1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Brush a pizza stone with 1 tsp olive oil.  Place one package dough onto a cutting board and cut in half lengthwise.  Cut each half into 16 half moons to make a total of 32 half moons.  Repeat with remaining dough.  Arrange dough over stone leaving space around the edge an about 1/2 inch between piece of dough.  Bake 14-16 minutes or until crust is golden brown.


2. Meanwhile chop the artichoke hears, dice mozzarella, into 1/2 inch cubes and dice the bell pepper.  Slice the olives.  Combine artichokes, mozzarella cheese, bell pepper, olives, pressed garlic, salt, and black pepper and mix well.


3 Remove pizza stone from oven and grate half of the Parmesan cheese over crust; top with antipasti.  Bake 5-7 minutes or until mozzarella cheese is melted.  Remove from oven; grate remaining Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
*If desired, 2 pkg refrigerated pizza dough can be substituted.


So in my version, I used the Kris' tomato bruschetta recipe and the Pampered Chef dough recipe, except I used the refrigerated pizza dough.  My crust was too crusty and it rounded on top to my tomatoes did not stay on the pieces.  If I attempt to make this again, I will use either the French bread dough or actual sliced French Bread.


Now onto the yummy dishes.  


Kirsten Dugger's Pasta Salad


Ingredients

1 (12 ounce) package uncooked tri-color rotini pasta (I used Penne because that is what I had)
10 slices bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons dry ranch salad dressing mix
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper (I used black pepper)
1/2 cup milk, or as needed
1 large tomato, chopped
1 (4.25 ounce) can sliced black olives
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in rotini pasta and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Place bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until evenly brown. Drain and chop.
In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, and garlic pepper. Stir in milk until smooth. Place bacon, tomato, black olives and cheese in bowl and toss to coat with dressing. Cover and chill at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Toss with additional milk if the salad seems a little dry.  



I didn't need to add any milk to mine.  I also added the mayo mixture to the pasta when the pasta was still warm and it melted onto the pasta nicely.  I added the cheese after the pasta had cooled because I didn't want that to melt.


Pomegranate-Ginger Cooler


1 4-in piece of ginger peeled
1 can frozen pomegranate-cherry juice concentrate, thawed.
5-6 limes
3 cups chilled club soda
1 bottle of sparkling wine such as spumante
4 cups ice plus addional ice for serving


1. Chop ginger root and place ginger and concentrate into a microwavable dish and cook on high for 6-7 minutes or until boiling.  Carefully remove from microwave; cool 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, juice limes to measure 1/4 juice.


2. Strain the pomegranate mixture and lime juice into a pitcher.  Slowly add club soda and sparkling wine; gently stir to mix.  Carefully add ice and stir.  Serve with additional ice.


I made a few changes to this recipe.  I could not find a pomegranate-cherry mixture to I just used a pomegranate frozen cocktail mixture.  I already had some Sprite at the house and my go to girl for drinks said that the Sprite would make it taste better than the club soda.  I also just used bottled lime juice and squirted it into the pitcher.  I used my lime for garnish around the rim of the glass.  If you want to make it non alcoholic, substitute an additional 3 cups of club soda or the wine.  


I haven't cooked since then . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment